Thursday, August 21, 2008

Squash!

It's that time of year (finally) when the squash is getting ripe. You spend so much time waiting for it and then it's finally here . . . and then you're thinking, "what the heck do I do with all this squash???" Yeah, you could make some muffins but what about dinner?

Here's a recipe that can use up some of your squash and rosemary (I have a bounty of both) and you can also throw in garden tomatoes. We don't have enough yet (Monkey keeps eating them as soon as they are ripe so there's no build-up).

This dish is good vegan and even yummier with the addition of Pecorino or Parmesan cheese.


You'll need:

Pasta (I like to use a short tube pasta)
olive oil
1/2 onion (diced) - optional - I like onions
about 3 squash or zuchs (or use up a bunch!) - cut into 1/2 moons about 1/4 inch think
garlic clove (minced)
T chopped fresh rosemary (I use a bit more than this)
Can of diced tomatoes (or fresh!) drained
2 cups garbanzo beans (or well-rinsed if using canned)

Start the water boiling for your pasta (salt the water). We've been using 100% whole wheat pasta but I long for the days of its non-brown compatriots. Sigh . . . okay, back to the recipe . . .

Heat the olive oil over medium/med high heat until it shimmers
Cook the onions until almost translucent
Add your squash and cook until tender (3-5 min)
Add the garlic on top (don't let it burn) and cook for about 30 seconds or so
Add in the tomatoes, beans and rosemary
Stir to combine and put it on low until the pasts is ready (or at least 10 minutes)

Serve immediately with cheese to pass (I like the sharper bite of pecorino with this dish but parm is fine too!)

optional: toss a bit of white wine in when adding the tomatoes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just happen to have a bag of squash from Daves parents garden. I think Ill try this tonight

Anonymous said...

I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked this recipe. I did add the cheese part.