Thursday, September 11, 2008

Braised Kale

Sorry, I missed recipe Thursday last week. I haven't had much time to post lately! Here is an easy, yummy recipe to help you eat your greens. I've never been very good at doing vegetable sides (I always forget) but this one I've mastered and both M & I like it (Monkey will not dare to try it).

Braised Kale
(amounts are approximate) - this feeds two people with a bit leftover (as a side of course)

Ingredients
1-2 T olive oil
1/2 onion or a small onion sliced very thin
red pepper flakes
one bunch of kale (any kind will do) if you don't like kale this works with swiss chard too (Chopped or torn with thick stems removed)
1-3 minced garlic cloves
vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
splash of flavored vinegar (I use red wine vinegar but cider vinegar would work well too)

Heat the olive oil in a large pan over Med High heat
Saute the onion slices until slightly carmelized (3-5 min)
Sprinkle red pepper flakes to your liking
Add kale, garlic (on top so it doesn't burn) and enough vegetable stock to cook the kale but just have a little bit left at the end for "sauce". I'd say try 1 cup but I eyeball it. You can always add more - harder to take it out!
Cook for about 8-10 minutes until kale is tender (I use tongs to get the onions and everything mixed well)
Take it off the heat and add a splash of vinegar (serve immediately)

We often have this with broiled salmon & rice

Let me know what you think!

No comments: