Wednesday, October 29, 2008

big boy bed

It's funny how you obsess over milestones. When will he roll over? Was that his first word? Will I ever stop changing diapers? But then they roll over and over and over and it's on to the next one. It's almost as if they have never not been able to roll. I remember when I thought Monkey would NEVER be out of diapers . . . and poof, he's a potty pro (okay, maybe "poof" is a bit extreme). Same with talking . . . now I wish he'd be quiet once in a while! The incessant questioning is exhausting (but still pretty cool - he's a smart little bugger).

We wait so anxiously for these events, not realizing that each one erases our baby and replaces him bit by bit with . . . a big boy! The last milestone on this crazy rocket ride was achieved last weekend - the big boy bed. Monkey was a bit late on this one (transitions are tough for my boy). My mom even tried a super-cool firetruck toddler bed. He talked about sleeping in it a lot . . . but it was all talk. Although it was a great toy for firefighter play - we rode to fires many times a day in that bed - no sleeping was ever done. But I guess we don't give him enough credit because all the wondering about how a teenager would fit in a crib was for naught. We came back from vacation and he told us he was ready to take apart the crib with daddy. So Friday evening they did just that and he slept in his new bed for the first time. He slept through the night and everything (although I certainly didn't - I was in and out of there like a jackrabbit). Around midnight I found his head and shoulders hanging off the bed. He spoke rapidly for about a minute while I moved him (something about a house) then sighed and drifted off. So here we are with a big boy. And yes Monkey, "I so proud-a-you."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet!

kari and kijsa said...

SO wonderful...so sweet!! those are the moments that you treasure!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

Wow, hard to believe we will ever get there. We just lowered the crib mattress...